A bad selection of personnel can generate a series of problems for any business, these are usually directly or indirectly linked to an inefficient selection process by the human resources area.
The selection and recruitment processes must be delegated to someone trained to do so, there are certain effective techniques and methodologies, perfected by experts, that not everyone knows how to use. In addition to the fact that the processes change according to the position or need that the company requires to cover.
Discover how an effective personnel selection process should be carried out:
1. Analysis and definition of the profile
The first step is to define the needs of the company and what is the ideal profile of the candidate, as well as their character to adjust to the values of the company and easily integrate into the work team, all of which is called definition of the profile professional or selection criteria.
We must evaluate the activities to be carried out, the required experience, requested skills, technical knowledge, values, study levels, ability to work in a team or under pressure, define how many languages are required, describe the activities to be carried out and the responsibilities that the job entails. Market Stall.
2 . Recruitment, review of candidates and pre-selection
To begin recruitment, a series of processes must be followed: make job offers, advertise, ask for recommendations, go to employment agencies, search databases or search social networks for candidates for the positions to be filled.
After that, the stage of receiving resumes and preselection of candidates begins, where we must choose among the applicants the candidates that respond to the ideal profile that we defined at the beginning.
3. Interviews and evaluation
Once a defined number of applicants is selected, the evaluation stage must begin, using an established methodology:
- Initial interview: consists of a meeting with the candidate to verify their language, their skills, ask about their experience, discover motivations, resolve doubts and ask generic questions as necessary data.
- Knowledge test: take a brief technical knowledge test in case the position depends on theoretical or practical skills, in order to measure efficiency and productivity.
- Psychological measurement: psychological and psychometric tests are of vital importance, since they define the character and abilities of the candidate and are essential when making the final decision, this includes tests of personality, intelligence, attitudes, etc.
- Final interview: consists of conducting a final interview, with a more formal nature, by the head of the area and verifying important details.
The evaluation process consists of identifying the data and qualifying the candidates based on the necessary items that we defined at the beginning, to verify that they meet the criteria or even exceed them.
4. Recruitment and decision
Once the evaluation is done, it is time to make decisions based on the results of the processes carried out previously, checking the references and documentation of the candidates.
5. Training process
The most common mistake made in human resources areas is to believe that once the contract with the most suitable candidate is signed, the process ends. However, one of the most important elements in the entire journey is the incorporation of the candidate to the job. This point is where everything theoretical, practical, promised and expectations must be felt in reality.
The main thing is to carry out a training process that includes the general tasks of the company, as well as the particular requirements of the position to be filled. Then it is necessary to leave a trial period to assess the levels of effectiveness, degrees of satisfaction (personal and professional), levels of integration, future expectations, etc.
A good selection process is a requirement that has direct consequences on the productivity and efficiency of a company, and involves a wide variety of issues that must be defined in detail and based on an appropriate methodology defined by experts.